In this page we will try to compile some guidelines for activators and chasers. These guidelines will evolve as the programme develops. They should be understood as recommendations.
- Announce your activation. Whenever possible, you should add your activation to the Beaches On The Air website before it starts. You simply do not fill in the QSO count yet. You will be able to edit your activation to include the final QSO count after the activation has finished. This has the following advantages:
- It serves as an announcement of your activation for chasers.
- Chasers will be able to claim their QSOs with you immediately after making them, while the activation is still ongoing.
- Promote Beaches On The Air. During an activation you should try to promote the programme among chasers by
- Calling CQ 'Beaches On The Air' in phone or CQ BOTA in CW.
- Responding to any other CQ call, referring to your 'Beaches On The Air' activation, and sharing your beach name and reference.
- Ensuring your activation gets posted on the DX Cluster, e.g. by asking your chasers to spot you there after their QSO with you.
- Inviting your chasers to visit the programme's website 'beachesontheair.com'.
- Encouraging chasers to claim their chaser points by confirming their QSO with you on the Beaches On The Air website.
- Take pictures and videos. You should try to take pictures or videos of your activations. Other members enjoy this very much, and it also helps us promote the programme among visitors. When taking a picture or especially recording a video, please do it in landscape format!